Witch’s Jawbone… Er, Skull

 

Every once in a while I feel romantic and want to make something special for the Pretty One. Some of you may remember the Blood of the Innocent cocktail and Child Skull Goblet I made for her before. I didn’t quite know what I was doing and should I ever try to make another I’d probably do a few things differently but all in all I loved the way it turned out. It also gave me the experience to step up the next one a bit.

This is that next one,

The Witch’s Skull…

 

 
As an avid reader of Proponomicon I saw a post a while back showing a prop from TheMonkeyRadio called The Witch’s Jawbone and thought it would make a lovely present for The Pretty One. As I looked at it I thought to myself, I’m good at making stuff, why not give it a go myself and see what I can make. The Monkey radio mentioned that the prop was from an actual account of a witch burial so I did a quick search and found this…

A grisly end: 800-year-old remains of witch discovered in Italian graveyard… with seven nails driven through her jaw

As much as I liked the museum piece jawbone in its presentation box, I figured I’d do a trophy or altar worthy skull just to be different, I read through a few prop sites, read up on corpsing and came up with a plan.

I got a basic skull, shrinkwrap, latex primer, acrylic paints, some Elmer’s and a terrible wig that I somehow salvaged to use. I still have these crappy nylon hairs all over my living room. Lastly I got some nails from an 18th century New England barn as I wanted it to look as old as possible. Maybe the skull of this girl wasn’t from 12th century Italy but from a good old Puritanical American witch-hunt.

Because I actually had a plan, I drilled the 7 holes through the jawbone for the 7 nails. As fun and therapeutic it would be, I figured that actually hammering the nails in would just break the poor girl.

I liked the positioning so I set about fixing the jaw in as wide open a position as possible.

 
 
 
 
 

 


Next, I wrapped her with shrinkwrap to start the desiccated skin effect. The first time I tried it I only wrapped it around once or so which didn’t leave me enough material after hitting it with a heat gun. Needed several layers to keep from vaporizing with the heat gun and leaving nice crusty flesh.
 

After some trimming a latex primer was added before painting the skin to match the skull. I wanted the flesh to match the same tones as the bone.

 

Now that the skin was all set, it was time to re-insert the nails through the old flesh and add a nice little carved warding.

 
Now she’s starting to look pretty and she’s as done as she’ll be until I mount her to a base,
 
 
I got this piece of wood from ASPauljoy on Etsy. I probably could have easily sourced something more local but it was the perfect size and finish and only a few bucks. I did a light dremeling of the design before hitting it with some fire.
 
 
 
 
After the torching was done I added 13 nails around the circle of the pentagram. The article about the Italian gravesite mentioned that not only were 7 nails driven through the woman’s jaw but her corpse was surrounded by 13 nails which I also wanted to incorporate into the presentation somehow. Another corpse had 17 or so bone dice around her but I felt like I wanted to keep it a little simple. Besides, it took me a while to find the write lettering style for “Malefica”. It all turned out well, but it really needed more fire…
A couple of long woodscrews through the bottom of the base up into the skull and she was fairly secure. Most skulls I found online were hollow, even ones like this one I got specifically because it didn’t have the removable top of the cranium, but this one was solid resin or plastic. I would have actually preferred to use a hollow skull as I’d feel more secure if it was mounted with a toggle bolt instead of being at the mercy of the material the skull to not crumble or tear out at some point.


I originally was going to mount the entire wig I got and braid the hair through the 13 nails on the board. Unfortunately the wig was really fucking ugly and a nightmare to do anything with so I snipped a few clumps of the white hairs off of it and attached them in locks with masking tape and Elmer’s.

After that, it was just a little finishing paint up over the new hair and some other touch ups.  A quick hit for an acrylic finish spray and she was all done.

 

 
 
Facebook Comments

You may also like...

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!